Tuesday, May 18, 2010

New Begingins in the Flattest Place on Earth, the Red River Valley

Hey everyone. I’m going to use my blog as a way for you to know what I’m up to. No this isn’t a way to you to know my every waking moment but because we can’t spend the summer together and it will probably be at least till the fall before I see you, I’d like you to know how my adventures at Red Goose Gardens are going.
Firstly, I shout out to my Aunt and Uncle for giving me a gift certificate for a yarn shop. YEAHHH!!!! I now have several wonderful shades of green, 100% wool, yarn. I’m going to attempt to make a delicious poncho out of them. It’ll be a bit warm to wear now that it is like 80 degrees out everyday but come fall and winter; it will make a lovely addition to my wardrobe. Other things I wish to accomplish this summer, besides learning how a farm and a CSA works, is to finish The Mists of Avalon, The Shack (THANK YOU AMY), and The Lacuna. I know that sounds like a lot but when you get done with 8 hours of farm work, damn all I want to do is have a beer and read a good book. 
Moving in went well. There was a bit of a concern when it came to squeezing a queen pillow top mattress into a full size bed frame but it worked out… I think. The full size fitted sheet ripped a bit as we were attempting to make the bed. Oh well we’ll see how it all works out. I’m staying in the top level of the house and it gets quite warm up there I might be picking up some ice packs and a fan at the store tomorrow.
My fellow interns are really cool. The couple is from Oregon an have worked at a goat farm CSA. Totally legit. One of them has dreads and she said if I wanted to do it too, she would be willing to help! Sweet! The other guy is from North Carolina. He seams like an interesting guy. Not exactly sure what he wants to do but hey, who at 20 does. He’s turning 21 on a Saturday in June. Hopefully it’s not on Annie’s graduation weekend, cause I would like to go to the bar with all them.
Today we transplanted 3 flats, that’s over 600 tomato plants into six packs, harvested a whole bag of asparagus, removed the seed heads from rhubarb plants, and fixed up part of the fence that got knocked over because of the flood. And that was all between 1:00 and 7:30. We then ran down to this gas station/ice cream store and got some delicious soft serve. A great ending to a very exciting day. Well not really the end cause I’m checking e-mails, surfing the web and writing this. Hopefully ya’ll check in and of course I’ll be on facebook and my e-mail all summer long. Totally have the Wi-Fi connection. Look UMD housing, they have Wi-Fi all the way out here in the flattest place on earth.
Sending all my Love and Blessings,
Charles

No comments: