Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Solstice Fire I

Summer solstice comes and goes every year. Since I’ve been observing it’s significance to our lives, it has rained (2009) and I’ve had to work all day (2010). But even now, in seeing it is the beginning of summer and the fire season here in the Midwest I’ve come to accept that for the last two years my dreams of a solstice celebration with bounties of food, bon fires, chants, and dancing are still yet a few years away. So for the time and times being, I’ll have to celebrate Litha in my own way.

Yesterday I started out by giving an offering of corn meal to the elements, to the Earth Mother, to the summer sky, to the Fiery Sun, and to Artemis who is helping me with some endeavors. I then rode my bike to work and passed by the hawk who looks for her breakfast on the electrical pole everyday. We flew side by side for a while, like most mornings, then she turned around and I continued down the road. I worked all day under the sun. I took some time after I ate my lunch to meditated and connect with the power of this day. I felt stillness. It was like a iron or copper pole held the sun directly above the earth. The sliver wheel had once again come to a point, and I felt the heat of summer descended into the earth from the sun. Photons of light made into a brilliant show of plant life which lives rise to bugs and birds and all of nature. She is the conduit for all that is and full of life.

Later that day, I sat in the yard and watched the sun fall below the horizon. The moon made her way up into the sky and a gentle breeze cooled my sun tanned arms. The sun disappeared leaving a gray blue sky and the sliver wheel continued on. Going inside and to my bed, the moon cast her light on to my skin though my south facing window. The wind cooled the heated attic and I drifted into sleep. In my dreams I laughed and woke myself up. Lord only knows what was so funny. Returning to sleep, I dreamed of my Aunt Kathy. Weather it was her spirit meeting me on some plane of consciousness or my memory of her playing on the screen of my minds eye, I’m not sure. She looked different, more youthful with red and blond hair. I cry every time she appears in my dreams. Perhaps one day I will stop my emotions for filling me with sadness for her passing or joy with meeting up with her again will be able to receive her intention for apparition.

3 comments:

Sara Ann said...

This is beautiful Charles! Thank you again for your splendid words and imagery. I was quite caught up in my work of the day until I came and read your blog -- it was just like talking to you after class last semester. I cannot begin to say how very much I miss those times, some days. However, I have begun to read "The Spiral Dance" and am about to start on "The Earth Path" -- so in a way, I have a piece of you, and of our Women and Spirituality class, waiting for me every evening when I come home and settle down to read by my garden. :)

Much love --
--Sara

Chuck said...

I'm glad you're enjoying my writings. I've a lot of time to think at the farm. Manual labor doesn't require much brain power. I contemplate a lot and then when I have time, i write my thoughts down. I try not to unleash the unbridled and spiraling steams of my consciousness that make their way on to paper or text document on the public. Only the refined ramblings make it on the blogs. Hope your liking Starhawk as much as I am.

Sara Ann said...

Love her!