Saturday, September 27, 2008

Autumn Euforia

I just can't help it any more. I must express the way the Fall makes me feel. It is such an assault on my senses. The changing visual experience, the multitude of aromas, the final fruits of the season, and the wonderful chill of the outdoors. There's something distinctly 'fall' about walking around outside, and seeing the wonderful contrast between the evergreens and the on-fire colors of the oak, birch, and maple trees. Sun set yellows, flaming oranges, ruby reds, and finally earth browns hang from trees like tiny flames. They fall in gentle cascades with each chilling breeze. I bring my faded green jacket closer to me as the sounds of the seasons play in my head. Possession, Pathway of Thorns, and Fear all by Sarah McLachlan all remind me of autumn. Some Brandi Carlile and some Damien Rice on the cloudy days. Butterfly Boucher and Nickle Creek on the cold sunny ones. It wonderful to walk in the ever changing woods and listen to the music and the trees.

The tastes of fall are even more delicious than the sounds. Minnesota apples are now in season and Honey Crisp are the best out of all of them. Hybrid by nature their sugary flavor blends so well with it's crispy flesh
. The Honey Crisp's parents are the Macoun form Canada and the Honeygold, another hybrid. The Honey Crisp are by far the pinnacle of apple genetics. Great for eating or baking. It's no wonder I just payed $10 for one bag. They'll get cheaper once they've come into the peck of their season, about mid October thru November.

I love the fact how connected to nature we still are. The colors of fall are all those found in our foods and in our surroundings. The trees, the gourds, the candy, the pies. Mum... pies. Mom will be making pumpkin pies soon. Once when Mom was making a pumpkin pie I asked if the batter was any good. She said no but of course her answer wouldn't be enough for me. So I took the empty mixing bowl and scrapped my finger along the side. The thick orange-ocher batter clung to my finger. It smelled of cinnamon, nutmeg, and all spice. I licked it from my finger and soon regretted the decision. Not Good. Just as mom said. When your mom tells you something is bad, listen to her.

Halloween and Thanksgiving are just around the corner. So are mid-terms. And while I anticipate these joyous and not so joyous events I will consume myself among the senses and traditions of Autumn. I will wade myself among the piles of dead leaves and inhale the cool, spicy night air. I invite you to come and indulge in all that this season has to offer.

Blessed Be.

~CHUCK

No comments: